Monday, April 16, 2012

The Chicks Are Here!

We had a warm, sunny Easter and we brought a few chicks outside for some super great photo opportunities. My brother took all of these shots. http://andrewholliday.squarespace.com/ We kept the chicks in a brooder in our house until they were 13 days old. They are now in the greenhouse in a brooder as the nights are quite cold still and they don't have all their adult feathers yet. They have moved from the cute and fuzzy stage into the ugly and awkward stage. Their feathers are growing but you mostly see the quills. They look like porcupines on chicken legs.

2 comments:

  1. Is this still an active site, live in the kamloops area wanted to get a small number of chicks and looking for info,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I haven't posted in forever. I am working with the city at the moment and I'm quite confident chickens will be allowed by the fall of 2014. I ordered my chicks (min.25) from Millers Hatchery in Alberta. Check the facebook group Kamloops Urban Hens and Kamloops Urban Homesteaders for info on chicks availability.

    ReplyDelete